Weihenstephaner 1516 Kellerbier is a naturally cloudy, well-balanced specialty beer with a strong character, harmoniously blending malt aromas with a fragrant bouquet of noble hops. The original hazy lager, 1516 Kellerbier was brewed in 2016 as a limited release to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Bavarian Purity Law. Due to the overwhelming response to the Kellerbier, the Bavarian State Brewery began producing it as a seasonal offering. However, the Kellerbier will be available for export market year-round starting in the spring of 2019.
Rare variety of hops: Hallertauer Record
In selecting the hop varieties for the Weihenstephaner 1516 Kellerbier, the brewers found an old and very rare variety, Hallertauer Record. Around the entire world, this traditional hop is only cultivated over a total area of approximately three acres. Hallertauer Record lends a strikingly unique character and imparts a pleasant bitterness to the beer. Additionally, Hallertauer Perle contributes a spicy, fruity hop character to the beer, and finally, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh hops are added at the end of the boil to enrich the fine aroma. The combination of pale pilsner and dark Munich barley malts endows Weihenstephaner 1516 Kellerbier with a lustrous amber color. The roasted aromas of the darker malt provide pleasant caramel notes and a fullness to the body of the beer.
Long lagering, full taste
In brewing Weihenstephaner 1516 Kellerbier, a long, cold lagering period is of particular value for ensuring slow maturation. The beer also does not undergo filtration prior to filling. The bottom-fermenting yeast still in suspension after primary fermentation eventually sediment out over the extended maturation, and the beer is left with a light, iridescent opalescence. The naturally cloudy Weihenstephaner 1516 Kellerbier pairs well with meat and fish, whether broiled, roasted or grilled and hearty cheeses as well as with other robust, savory dishes.
- Check out the specifics of our Kellerbier here!
- It is still bock beer season - do you know who invented it? Here's the answer!
1516 Kellerbier in 23 countries - also in yours? Find out here!
- Slowenien (on-trade, off-trade)
- Ukraine (off-trade)
- China (on-trade, off-trade)
- Südkorea (on-trade, off-trade)
- Ungarn (off-trade)
- UK (on-trade)
- Spanien (on-trade, off-trade)
- Brasilien (on-trade, off-trade)
- Tschechien (on-trade, off-trade)
- Griechenland (on-trade, off-trade)
- Island (off-trade)
- Schweden (off-trade)
- Russland (on-trade, off-trade)
- Estland (on-trade)
- Irland (on-trade, off-trade)
- Japan (on-trade, off-trade)
- Australien (on-trade)
- Dänemark (on-trade)
- Philippinen (on-trade, off-trade)
- Thailand (on-trade, off-trade)
- Frankreich (on-trade, off-trade)
- Taiwan (on-trade, off-trade)
- USA (on-trade, off-trade)
Kellerbier, Europe, countries, availabilty, Weihenstephaner